Sealing a Juvenile Record (Welfare and Institution Code 781)

Sealing a Juvenile Record

If you were convicted of a crime as a juvenile you can have your conviction sealed. This relief is not available if you were convicted of a Welfare and Institution Code Section 707(b) offense after you turned 14 or you were ordered to register as a sex offender. It doesn’t help minors who were convicted in adult court. You can get your records sealed even if you haven’t paid the fines and fees.

Generally speaking, the petition must first be sent to probation. They check your record, make sure you don’t have any other convictions. Once probation does the background check your petition is sent to the court. The court sets a hearing and at the hearing the prosecutor can object. 

If granted your record is sealed and can only be opened under certain very limited circumstances.

Find out more useful articles at our resource page.